Company Logo

UN Official Visa Eligibility

UN Officials who are assigned by their government to visit India to work in their respective Missions or Post and Consulate will grant with an official visa. And, those who carry official or UN passport and serve their duty in UN or international organizations, located in India. However, if the family member (spouse and children) are coming with him or her by holding any type of passport, may grant with the official visas as well.

To qualify UN official visa

  • If you want to qualify an A-1 or A-2 visa, you must be traveling from a foreign country on behalf of your national government so that you can engage with your official works for that government. The duties or services which you will perform must be governmental in nature, as determined by the foreign department of state with the foreign immigration laws.
  • In case, the government officials or diplomats traveling to India to attend non-governmental functions or activates of a commercial nature or maybe traveling as tourists, then they need to apply for a tourism visa. It is important to remind, that the official or diplomats are a part of government interest or control by that organization, but in case they want to travel India for tourism purpose then they will not be qualified for an A visa.

Officials requiring A-1 Visa

  • If the person is Head of State or Government may travel to India by offering the purpose of travel.
  • The official or diplomat coming to India to serve at the embassy or consulate in India as ambassador or consul.
  • In case, the foreign Government minister or cabinet member coming to India for official activities or functions.
  • If the European Union (EU) an African Union (AU) delegations are coming to India as representatives.
  • And, if the family member is coming to India may grant with an A-1 visa.

Officials and employees requiring for A-2 visa

  • If an employee is assigned by the government for full-time to work at an embassy or consulate in India or to perform duties or services at an embassy.
  • Government officials who are representing their government coming to India based on written request to the country to serve or perform government duties.
  • Military members stationed at the Indian military base or assigned to the embassy or consulate in India.
  • The staff of European (EU) AND African Union (AU) delegation who are coming to India as representatives.
  • And, if the family member is coming to India may grant with an A-2 visa.

Travel purposes do not fall under A-1 or A-2 visas

  • If a government official coming to India to take part in non-official or non-governmental functions or maybe traveling as a tourist must apply for other visa category type to fulfill the specific travel purpose such as B-2 Visa tourism.
  • However, if local government officials coming to India to represent their state, province borough, or other local political entity, then they require visitor (B) visas.

Guidelines for UN Official Visa

  • 1.Strictly no amendment in the application form, and every single detail should be in type written (*must not forget to type exact details which are written on your passport).
  • 2.Uploading of photographs. The Embassy or the authority of immigration wishes that all photographs which you are going to upload must match the given instruction: apply for the Basic Life Support. The photo should be the same as the 3.5* 3.5 cm picture attached in the application form.
  • 3.Your photo must not have shadow in the face or on the background
  • 4.Your photo should be clear
  • 5.Photocopy of passport (back and front)
  • 6.NO scanned signature.
  • 7.Foreign Nationals or citizens desire to enter in India with Diplomat or official visa must provide an explanation letter why they're applying for this visa. *Hand written is not allowed.
  • 8.You must be submitting your details at the (Nonimmigrant visa application) Form DS-160 confirmation page, in case; you are outside from the US.
  • 9.Passport with a minimum validity of six months from the date of visiting India.
  • 10.You must have a photocopy of the passport bio page.
  • 11.A diplomatic note—it is a written note which confirms your travel purpose by the country’s government. However, if you are coming with diplomats or officials to help in domestic, then the A-3 applicants also require a diplomatic note so that you can submit with your application (A-1 or A-2) visas. However, you also need to mention your personal details such as—
    The government official's or employee's name
    Position and title
    Date of birth
    Place of assignment or visit
    Your purpose of travel
    A brief description of your duties and activities
    Your travel date
    And, a complete description of your duty and others anticipate, and duration of your stay in India. However, if your family member is coming with you, then need to mention his or her date of birth or if a household member coming with you who will join government officials or employees must give all the above-mentioned information.

Documents and other details

All pages of the UN Official visa application form must be printed on the letter-head paper and the Undertaking must be signed with date and stamp. Two copies of the filled application form have to be submitted with the Undertaking to the Embassy of India, and should contain the following information which is written below:

Documents required for Official visa: Firstly, the applicant needs to submit his or her application for the same with these documents

  • 2 recent Passport size photos.
  • Original Passport.
  • Photocopy of the passport with the relevant pages including residence visa page
  • Application Form
  • Undertaking
  • Detailed Synopsis
  • Itinerary (Ports of entry and exit from India to be indicated)
  • A diplomat note issued by the government
  • Bio-profile with details:
  • Name and surname as featuring in the passport
    1. Contact coordinates - telephone & e-mail address
    2. Profession
    3. Nationality
    4. Date and place of birth (Day/ Month/ Year)
    5. Passport number & validity

After submission of UN official visa application online with the documents; colored photograph signature, and the files which mention above, have to submit to the Indian Mission/ Post/ FRRO/FRO concerned for advance verification.

However, you may ask for the additional document if immediate family members are coming with you (unmarried son and daughter, or maybe they are studying in any foreign country or domestic helper) then, you need to fulfill all the required documents to grant with A-1 or A-2 visas.

If in case the family member doesn’t clear the visa requirement then he or she will grant with a B-2 visa.

Government Officials additional information

Type-A visas are issued to the officials and diplomats who visit India to represent their government and duties in their consulates or foreign mission or posts. In case, if an A-1 or A-2 visa applicant is coming to India for an assignment (which must be finished within 90 days), the visa then annotated ‘TDY’. This needs a personal interview so that the applicant can qualify that and grant with A-1 or A-2 visas.

However, here are some of the additional visa types within this class:

A-3 visa

This visa type is issued to the attendants and personal employees with the official visa applicant (A-1 or A-2) visa holders.

G-1 visa

This visa type is offered to members of a permanent mission who serve in an international organization and to his or her immediate families. G-1 visa is also granted to the mission’s secretaries, custodial employees, and chauffeurs.

G-2 visa

G-2 visa is granted to representatives or officials of the government and members of their immediate families traveling to India for meetings. G-2 visa holder may represent their government at the UN (United Nations), General Assembly, or TDY officers. This visa may also grant to the military officers who are assisting the UN Secretariat for peace matters between the two countries.

G-3 visa

G-3 visa is issued to the representative who is from non-recognized or non-member governments, and to family members of the G-3 applicant. It is also provided to those who want to represent their government in an international organization (UN General Assembly and Security Council).

G-4 visa

This visa type is granted to personnel of any rank who serve to the United States including the United Nations (UN), to take up an appointment at an international organization. However, the family members of the applicant can also issue a G-4 visa, and the officers and employees who are coming to attend an International organization may also grant with this visa.

G-5 visa

G-5 visa is granted to personal employees or attendants in G-1 through G-4 status.

Note: Duration of Visa or the number of entries in India is purely the discretion of the Indian Embassy, or Consulate has no role in order to make any approach or process. The applicant has to observe and realize that Visa will not be a subject of right, and, hence the Embassy / Consulates might deny the visa if no longer observed the eligibility / or does no longer have adequate supporting documentation. If the process is not matching according to the demand from the authority will not grant a UN Official visa if you request more days or time in India. So, provide your details and information before you submit your application, and must pay your application process amount. There will be no clarifications on this regard, and the resolution or decision of the Embassy / Consulate will probably be final.

Visa Categories

E-visa India Support center

sopport icon

Worldwide Phone Support

Company logo

E-Visa India Process

Process Icon

Consultations for prospective immigrants

The nation believes in eradicating the gap of countries with a reforming bridge of immigrant policy to boost humanity and kindness. Read More